I'll tell you about the most awkward, because it's the best. And I'll save the other for later.
Earlier today and yesterday I got rid of terrible employees 1&2
Thing 1 was pretty easy to fire. I told her she was adorable [cough, but that wont get you everywhere], nice to customers[cough but you never left a 2squarefoot area], but that I needed someone with a little more experience in the service industry if it was going to work out. She said, aww! thanks! Hope you have a great day!
Yes. That's right. She thanked me for firing her. Awesome.
Then of course there's Thing 2. Who was a better worker than Thing 1, but just not what I'm looking for. Yes, I'm being picky, but I need someone pretty awesome in my store. I'm not going to just give in and keep some dude who's kind of... meh. So I had to let him go even though he's sweet as pie.
So I called him today to let him know that I wasn't going to be needing him anymore. And I even called a few other places around town where I know people and know that they're ALWAYS hiring.
So. I basically got him another job. But he was all... sad times. And made huffing noises at me and sounded dejected. But it was all good, and finally done. I waited a couple of days longer than I had wanted to, but at least it was DONE!
And then 3 hours later he walks in at the same time as the AWESOME guy that I hired to replace him walked in. So I was all... awww shit. This is gonna be weird. I go get Thing2's check and let him know again where he should go apply blah blah blah... and then I realize that he and the guy I just hired are ordering together.
YES... they LIVE TOGETHER. THEY'RE ROOMMATES. AND... wait for it... AND He's in a band with the OTHER guy who is ALSO taking some shifts that I originally thought he might be able to get.
Then he wanted to know if I had time to "talk" and made sad face at me about how it would have been really nice to have worked this week. Ugh. My insides are all twisty just thinking about it.
Wow. Just. Wow. The most awkward interaction EVER. EVER.
A) I hate firing people [period] I always feel compelled to help them out. Except for that one time when I fired someone for stealing... He was pretty easy. But he cried.
B) I hate firing people that wont let go.
So anyway. Today was amazing. And pretty hilarious.
Sigh. But tomorrow will be awesome because the guy I hired who's awesome is learning his job tomorrow, and kickin ass.

3 comments:
ummmm, just reading that post made me feel awkward. oh my goodness. this town is way too damn small.
oh that is awkward!
"but I need someone pretty awesome in my store."
I'll drop by again this week then.
Post a Comment